I’m always impressed with the safety lengths that Britax goes to with their car seats and their newest release – the updated Frontier 85 – is no exception. The Frontier 85 is a combination forward-facing, 5-point harness car seat from 25 up to 85 lbs. as well as a belt-positioning, high-back booster seat up to 120 lbs. This new Frontier 85 car seat includes the following updates:
- 5-point harness weight limit increased from 80 to 85 lbs
- harness height increased from 18″ to 20″
- 2 additional harness height position for a total of 10
- fixed cup holders and armrests
- new fabrics
- redesigned belt paths to make installation easier
While some parents are too eager to do away with the 5-point harness and move their kids into belt-positioning booster seats, the National Highway Traffic Safety Commission recommends:
“Most toddlers and preschoolers (up to age 4) are not big enough or old enough for a belt-positioning booster seat. They need a full harness for upper body protection and to hold them in their seats. A full harness should be used as long as possible.” (http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/newtips/pages/Tip2.htm)
The Frontier 85 allows the longest use of the 5-point harness on the market and at 120 lbs, also offers one of the highest booster weight limits. Once your child hits the 2 yrs/25 lbs lower limit, the Frontier 85 could be the only car seat you ever buy again – welcomed news to parents who have bought 3 and 4 car seats to find the right fit, style and size for their growing kids.
Some of my favorite features on this seat include the no-re-threading harness, the easy installation (Britax has an incredibly clear and thorough manual), the dual cup holders, the subdued color schemes (which means older kids will be less likely to balk at sitting in one) and the plethora of safety features.
* True Side Impact Protection – Britax’s patented design that distributes the force of the crash, and protects the head, neck and body by keeping the body aligned to reduce injury
* EPS Foam Liner – absorbs and distributes the impact from a crash
* energy-absorbing base – helps to absorb the crash force
* Versa-Tether – anchors the back of the car seat at two different points, minimizing the forward movement of the seat in a collision
* HUGS (Harness Ultra Guard System) – prevents forward head movement in a crash
* simplified and secure installation with either the LATCH connectors or the color-coded vehicle belt guides
* plush yet durable material and padding provide comfort and keep passenger cool
* easily adjust between 10 harness height positions with the no-re-threading harness
* 3 seat buckle positions to ensure a snug fit
* 2 built-in cup holders easily fit sippy cups, snack containers and 20-oz. water bottles
* built-in, fixed armrests
* soft shoulder and crotch pads
At 19.5″ wide, the seat isn’t especially narrow, but if you’re planning on using it up to 120 lbs, you need room for a growing child. Available in four colors – tan, pink, red and grey all with black accents – the Frontier 85 retails for about $250. But special for MWS readers….
WIN A BRITAX FRONTIER 85! Britax is generously giving away one of their new Frontier 85 seats in the color of your choice to one lucky MWS reader! How to enter: leave a comment here telling us where you’ll be traveling with your new Britax Frontier 85 this summer. Get an extra entry by friending MWS and Britax on Facebook (leave us another comment here telling us you did and we’ll follow up and double check).
U.S. or Canadian residents only. Only two possible entries per person. Entries must be received by Friday, May 25th at 11:59pm PST. One winner will be chosen at random to receive a Frontier 85 car seat in the color of their choice.